Sedation Dentistry San Francisco
Are you long overdue for a dental check-up? Do you have dental pain you haven’t addressed? If you avoid going to the dentist because the thought fills you with dread and anxiety, you’re not alone. Dental anxiety is one of the most common phobias in the United States. According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, as many as 15% of Americans avoid going to the dentist because of fear and anxiety.
If you have dental anxiety, sedation dentistry may be the answer. At Post Street Dental, we don’t want fear and anxiety to get in the way of you receiving dental care. We offer many kinds of sedation dentistry to help during dental procedures, and we’ll find the best option for you. If you’re looking for sedation dentistry in San Francisco, come and see why we are the best dentist in San Francisco. Call to schedule an appointment at (415) 986-4534 or complete the online booking form.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a type of dental care that uses medication to help patients relax and feel comfortable during procedures. The level of sedation can range from light sedation, where you are still awake but relaxed, to deep sedation, where you may fall asleep during the procedure. There are different types of sedation, and the type used will depend on the procedure being performed and the level of anxiety the patient is experiencing.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
There are many benefits to sedation dentistry, including
- Reduced anxiety and fear
- Reduced pain
- Shorter appointment times
- Reduced gag reflex
What Dental Procedures Can Be Done Under Sedation?
Sedation dentistry can be used for a variety of dental procedures, including but not limited to
- Teeth cleanings
- Dental fillings
- Crowns and bridges
- Root canals
- Dental implants
- Wisdom teeth removal
Types of Sedation Dentistry
Your dentist will advise you on which options would be best suited to you. The type and dose of sedation will be chosen based on your medical history, level of anxiety, and the procedure being performed. Several types of sedation are used in dentistry.
- Oral sedation. Oral sedation is taken in pill form before your appointment. It can range from light to moderate sedation, depending on the dose.
- IV sedation. IV sedation is administered through a small needle in your hand or arm. It can provide a deeper level of sedation than oral sedation.
- Nitrous oxide. Also known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is a gas you breathe through a mask during your appointment. It can provide a light level of sedation and help you feel more relaxed.
- General anesthesia. General anesthesia is used to put you to sleep for more complex procedures. It is usually only used for very anxious patients or those undergoing lengthy procedures.
What To Expect Before and After Your Sedation Dentistry Appointment
Your dentist will give you specific instructions before your procedure and advise on what you can and cannot do afterward. Before your appointment, you will need to fast for a certain period because some types of sedation can cause nausea and vomiting. Your dentist will tell you how long to fast before your appointment.
After your appointment, you will need someone to drive you home, as the effects of sedation can last for several hours. You may need to rest for the remainder of the day. Once you’re feeling better, you can resume your normal activities. Your dentist may instruct you not to eat or drink for some time, as sedation can make swallowing difficult. Following your dentist’s instructions is vital to ensure a safe and speedy recovery.
Risks and Side Effects Associated With Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is safe when performed by a trained and licensed dentist. The side effects of sedation are usually mild and temporary. However, as with any medication, there is a risk of complications. It is important to understand what these may be before you undergo any type of procedure. Your dentist will be able to discuss all of this with you and help you make the best decision for your needs.
Some risks and side effects include:
- Drowsiness. As sedation’s most common side effect, you may feel drowsy for several hours after your appointment.
- Nausea and vomiting. These are more common with deeper levels of sedation.
- Dry mouth. You may experience this after your procedure due to the medication.
- Low blood pressure. This may result from some types of sedation, so your dentist will monitor you closely during your appointment.
- Complications. Serious complications are rare but can include allergic reactions and respiratory and cardiovascular issues.
Be sure to tell your dentist if you have any medical conditions or take medications that could safely affect your ability to undergo sedation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, sedation dentistry is safe when performed by a trained and licensed dentist. All types of sedation have risks and side effects, but these are usually mild and go away quickly. Serious complications are very rare.
No, you should not feel any pain during your procedure. If you do, be sure to tell your dentist so they can adjust the sedation accordingly.
Sedation dentistry can be used for various dental procedures, including dental cleanings, cavity fillings, root canals, wisdom tooth extractions, dental implants, and more.
There are many benefits of sedation dentistry, including reducing anxiety, reducing pain, and allowing you to have multiple procedures done in one appointment.
"*" indicates required fields
Sedation Dentistry in San Francisco
If you’re looking for a dentist who offers sedation dentistry in San Francisco, we can help. Our team of experienced and compassionate dentists offers a variety of sedation options to help you feel relaxed and comfortable during your procedure. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you make the best decision for your dental needs. Contact the best dentist in San Francisco today to schedule a consultation at (415) 986-4534 or complete the online booking form. We are located at 490 Post St Suite 520, San Francisco, CA.